How to Keep Mosquitoes Away from Your Patio
Whether you enjoy wine nights with friends, grilling with the family, or morning coffee on weekends; the patio is the ideal spot for fun and relaxation with a little bit of fresh air. But with outdoor fun comes outdoor pests, and unfortunately, the ideal temperature for us to be outside is also the perfect temperature for mosquitoes!
If you’re looking for options to keep the mosquitoes away from your patio so you can enjoy it in peace, then you’re in the right place. This blog will offer different ways to help you keep mosquitoes away from your patio with pros and cons for each option.
Mosquito Repeller Devices
As people continue to fight the war on mosquitoes, new mosquito repellant technology is emerging. Mosquito repeller devices are increasing in popularity.
Unlike bug zappers that kill bugs as they approach, mosquito repeller devices create a barrier with a defined radius that wards off mosquitoes before they can get close enough to bite.
These devices keep mosquitoes away by releasing a faint scent that mosquitoes dislike and want to avoid. One of the more popular mosquito repeller devices is the Thermacell Patio Shield Mosquito Repeller.
- Repeller devices don’t produce smoke like candles or tiki torches because they use a closed flame or electricity.
- These devices don’t have a strong smell like products containing citronella and deet.
- These devices can be moved around to different areas on the patio unlike tiki torches.
- Most only provide up to 4 hours of protection per cartridge – so those spending long nights on the patio may use a lot of cartridges.
- Cartridge refills can get a little pricey if you spend a lot of time on the patio and need to replace them frequently.
- The devices only cover a 5ft – 7ft radius, so people with bigger patios may need multiple devices.
- The devices don’t eliminate mosquitoes, so as soon as you walk outside the radius, you’re at risk for getting bitten.
- They don’t offer as strong of protection against mosquitoes as professional treatments
Nets or Screens
There are TONS of options for adding mosquito nets or screens to your patio. If you want something more aesthetically pleasing, you can opt for a netted gazebo with muted colors that match your home’s color scheme.
Canopies are a more cost-effective option that serve the same purpose. They don’t look as nice, but they are cheaper and will keep the mosquitoes away!
If you frequently use the patio and are open to making a larger investment in your outdoor home experience, screening-in your patio might be a good option for you. If done well, it can look good and even increase the value of your home!
- Nets and screens keep mosquitoes away without any smells or flames.
- They can offer a larger mosquito-free zone than candles or repeller devices.
- You don’t have to replace them as frequently as candles, torches, or mosquito repeller devices.
- They can be an expensive up front investment ranging from $250 for a canopy to $3,000 for a screen installation.
- They don’t keep mosquitoes away from the rest of your yard.
- They can be a safety concern for those who have fire pits on their patio.
Hire a Professional
Working with a company that specializes in mosquito control is the BEST way to keep mosquitoes away from your patio because they will eliminate mosquitoes completely.
Mosquito control service providers will apply treatments that kill adult mosquitoes, mosquito larvae, and even mosquito eggs; so you can enjoy your entire yard without getting bothered by mosquitoes.
The right professional will even know which treatment compounds to use that will not harm you and your family, pets, and other insects.
- Will make your patio and yard 100% mosquito-free.
- Covers your entire yard rather than a small perimeter.
- Removes the need to refill cartridges, replace candles, or purchase more torches.
- Doesn’t involve strong smells like candles or torches containing deet or citronella.
- Lasts year-round and doesn’t run out of coverage every few hours.
- Doesn’t pose a fire hazard to the property, pets, and children like candles and torches.
- Complete mosquito control services cost more than candles and torches.
- Mosquito treatments are a continuous expense unlike a screen installation.
Mosquito Repellant Plants
If you want options to keep mosquitoes away from your patio naturally, you might be interested in planting mosquito repellant plants.
In addition to the popular citronella plant, there are also a few herbs that offer a natural way to keep mosquitoes away. Mint, rosemary, and lemongrass are all plants that help ward off mosquitoes.
- They don’t smell as strong as candles or torches containing deet or citronella.
- Plants can be placed throughout the patio offering a larger perimeter of protection.
- Repellant herbs like rosemary and mint can also be used in cooking or as teas.
- They don’t offer as strong of protection against mosquitoes as professional treatments, nets, or torches.
- You have to have enough plant care expertise to keep them alive!
Address Sources of Standing Water
According to the College of Agriculture & Environmental Sciences at the University of Georgia, mosquitoes can lay eggs on surfaces near water, on top of standing water, and in areas that are likely to become wet.
This means it’s critical that you scan your yard for anything that currently holds, can hold, or used to hold water as it could contain thriving mosquito larvae or dormant mosquito eggs waiting to hatch!
Here’s of list of actions you can take to address sources of standing water:
- Add drainage holes to planters or trays that collect water.
- Remove or reorient toys that collect water.
- Fix leaky pipes or faucets that contribute to standing water.
- Add proper yard drainage to reduce puddling.
- Clean gutters so water doesn’t collect.
- Replace bird bath water weekly.
- Replace water in vases and hanging planters weekly.
- Replace outdoor pet and livestock water frequently.
- Apply EPA-approved larvicide to standing water that cannot be removed.
- Helps prevent mosquitoes from multiplying.
- Is a natural option for keeping mosquitoes away.
- Helps reduce mosquitoes for your entire yard rather than just your patio.
- Doesn’t eliminate mosquitoes completely.
- Doesn’t protect you from mosquitoes that fly in from areas outside your yard.
About Simply Green’s Mosquito Control Service
We offer different outdoor mosquito control treatments to help rid your yard of these pests and keep them from coming back. Our backyard mosquito control products are safe for use around pets and children, and they work quickly to get rid of mosquitoes.
To control adult mosquitoes, our product is a synthetic version of the Pyrethrum extract found in Chrysanthemum flowers. In areas of standing water in your yard, we use Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis (Bti). Bti is a naturally occurring bacterium found in soils that specifically targets and only affects mosquito larvae. Bti interrupts the mosquito lifecycle by eliminating larvae before they mature into adults. It does not affect other insects, including honeybees. All of our EPA registered products are safe for kids and pets and do not pose a risk to your family.
If you’re looking for an easy way to keep mosquitoes out of your yard, our outdoor mosquito control treatments are a great option. Contact us today to learn more about our products and how we can help you get rid of mosquitoes for good!
About Simply Green Lawn Care
Simply Green aims to provide the highest quality lawn care, mosquito control, and lawn pest control services to Georgia residents.
We are locally owned and operated which allows us to be accessible, attentive, and responsive for customers in Georgia.
Our well-trained team is easy to work with and determined to exceed expectations.
All our plant health care specialists are Georgia Department of Agriculture Certified and maintain their Category 24 applicators license.
Hello, I didn't catch my service techs name today, but wanted to let you know what a great job he did today, please pass this along. His service was wonderful and he was very polite, I truly appreciate it. Keep up the good work! And thank you!
I have been with these guys for one whole season. 99.9% of the weeds are gone. The grass has never been so green. They have lived up to their name.
My lawn looks awesome and I have had neighbors walking their dogs tell me the same! Thanks Simply Green!
Simply Green always does an excellent job and are very customer oriented. The technicians are more knowledgeable than those of other companies I have tried.
Please let your staff that serviced my lawn aeration and fertilization yesterday know that they did an EXCELLENT JOB! My lawn is doing better than it ever has. And because of them and the rest of the techs that come out to my house, I'll remain a loyal customer of Simply Green. Great job!
I just had another comment this morning on how good our fescue lawn looks, which happens several times a week. I walked out in our back yard this AM and couldn't believe it was the same yard as what I dealt with last year. We have a good lawn maintenance crew that takes care of mowing and edging, and we have a good company that takes care of weeding, feeding, and shrubbery & trees. I enjoy telling friends and neighbors about your service. Thank you and keep up the good work!
Happened to be home and Ben was treating the yard. He took meticulous care in the treatment. Please convey my thanks to him.