Triple Threat of Turf Grass Stresses
The life of turf grass is a stressful one. The odds are against your lawn, and many different elements are working to keep it from reaching its full, lush and green potential. That doesn’t mean you can’t do anything about it! In the past few weeks we have gone from warm days and cool nights, to hot (we mean, HOT) days and warm nights. The overexposure of heat to your turf can be devastating, and unless you can block the suns rays, there isn’t much you can do about the heat. Heat isn’t the only stress wreaking havoc on your lawn, however. The other two stresses are lack of water and mowing stress. Though we can’t fix the heat, we can surely do something about these two! Simply Green Lawn Care has these tips to follow to keep your lawn looking great this year!
- Lack of Water – We are starting to see exceptionally hot days with a lack of rain to supplement it. So, if water is not finding its way to your lawn naturally, bring the water yourself! This is the time of year to start deep root watering, but how do we do that? Deep Root Watering – Instead of watering every other day to achieve the needed 1.0”-1.5,” water 1-2 days in a row, then don’t water the next 4-5 days. This provides deep root watering and allows your soil pores to open for oxygen.
- Mowing Stress – The stress your turf is experiencing is not always due to natural elements. Sometimes it is our own doing. Warm season turf should be mowed every 7-10 days. We are seeing issues when homeowners are mowing every 14 days or more which is causing additional stress to the turf grass by removing more than 1/3 of the leaf blade. With Bermuda turfgrass if you mow on a 14 day rotation your lawn will turn brown the day after mowing. Follow these mowing tips to keep from being the destructive force on your lawn:
- Cut, not tear. Mower blades must be sharp or instead of cutting you will be tearing your lawn. If your leaf blades have brown tips 2-3 days after you mow, your mower blades may need to be sharpened.
- Rule of thirds. Mow your lawn at least every 7 days in the growing season. Never mow more than one-third of the grass leaf at a time.
- To catch or not to catch? If you are mowing at the correct height every 7 days, you do not need to catch your grass clippings. Clippings contain beneficial nutrients and do not build harmful thatch.
- Change directions. Change your mowing direction each time you mow. This ensures a more even cut and grass blades will be less likely to develop into a set pattern.
- Height matters. Mowing height is extremely important. Know your grass type and mow at the correct height for the time of the year.
Photo Credit: Flickr Photo via Denise Krebs
About Simply Green Lawn Care
Simply Green aims to provide the highest quality lawn care, mosquito control, and lawn pest control services to Georgia residents.
We are locally owned and operated which allows us to be accessible, attentive, and responsive for customers in Georgia.
Our well-trained team is easy to work with and determined to exceed expectations.
All our plant health care specialists are Georgia Department of Agriculture Certified and maintain their Category 24 applicators license.
Hello, I didn't catch my service techs name today, but wanted to let you know what a great job he did today, please pass this along. His service was wonderful and he was very polite, I truly appreciate it. Keep up the good work! And thank you!
I have been with these guys for one whole season. 99.9% of the weeds are gone. The grass has never been so green. They have lived up to their name.
My lawn looks awesome and I have had neighbors walking their dogs tell me the same! Thanks Simply Green!
Simply Green always does an excellent job and are very customer oriented. The technicians are more knowledgeable than those of other companies I have tried.
Please let your staff that serviced my lawn aeration and fertilization yesterday know that they did an EXCELLENT JOB! My lawn is doing better than it ever has. And because of them and the rest of the techs that come out to my house, I'll remain a loyal customer of Simply Green. Great job!
I just had another comment this morning on how good our fescue lawn looks, which happens several times a week. I walked out in our back yard this AM and couldn't believe it was the same yard as what I dealt with last year. We have a good lawn maintenance crew that takes care of mowing and edging, and we have a good company that takes care of weeding, feeding, and shrubbery & trees. I enjoy telling friends and neighbors about your service. Thank you and keep up the good work!
Happened to be home and Ben was treating the yard. He took meticulous care in the treatment. Please convey my thanks to him.